Sunday, January 7, 2018

Batik Smells

Something strange is happening these days. There is a faint scent of flowers and incense following me around, making itself perceptible when I don't expect it at all. I have not been able to locate the source of the smell, as it disappears as soon as I start sniffing at it. Mostly these incidents are happening in my house, or in my bedroom, which leaves me less disturbed. But when it happens in a noisy bar late at night I am totally mystified.

Turns out this condition is a kind of hallucination, most likely a byproduct of my cold, and has a cool name: Phantosmia

What surprises me is how pronounced the smell is from the first time I detected it. It was clearly the same smell as the Batik we bought from Yogyakarta. Of all the phantom smells to hallucinate, why this?

No comments:

Post a Comment